Before Christmas, I received an email seeking 8-10 month old babies for a Fred Rogers project. Won't you be my neighbor? How could I resist? I submitted a photo of Mathilda and, long story short, she was asked to come in and "audition" to play the baby in one of a series of shorts about child development for the Fred Rogers Center for early learning & children's media.
Last week, we show up at a soundstage in Pittsburgh for the audition. Tilly is to be playing the baby of a single dad, so she is screen testing with potential "dads". We enter a medium sized blackbox theater. Black walls, black floor, black black black. There are big bright lights and cameras focusing on one half of the room.
Meet TV dad "Justin". He is such an actor. What are you picturing? White guy, late 20s, goatee, booming actor voice? Yes, you are correct. Of course his name is Justin. A guy who introduces himself as a "consultant" (not sure to what) asks if Actor Justin can hold Mathilda. I agree. Well, TV dad is obviously not a dad in real life. He's holding her like a heavy wet blanket, under her armpits, totally stiff. Tilly starts to fuss (wouldn't you?) and "consultant" is trying to instruct "actor" on how to hold her better, interact with her, etc.
She's not having it. She starts looking around for me and I try to stand in a location where she can see me, but I won't be in the way. I offer some favorite toys for Justin to play with with her (Cheburashka, of course). She is momentarily entertained, but not fooled. Again she starts whining, fussing. I'm only 10 feet away, just beyond the lights, smiling at her. She's looking right at me but not reacting. Then I realize- the lights. They are so bright, she can't see me at all!
And then- oh, my dear heart- she starts frantically looking around the room signing milk.
Oh god.
The distress call.
The baby's SOS.
milk.
mama.
I interrupt. Actor Justin tries to throw her under the bus to save his own job ("she just wants her mom, she's definitely not into other people holding her"). They thank us for our time and we leave. Tilly falls asleep as soon as the car starts. I take her home and we spend the day playing and napping.
I re-tell the story to Reg, my mom. We laugh. Are there 9 month olds who let strangers play with them under bright blinding lights without reservation? There must be, but my child is not one of them.
******
Epilogue.
I wrote this post last week, ending it at the line above. And then the funniest thing happened. They called us back. They want her to be the "understudy" (yes, I agree it is as ludicrous to me as it sounds to you!) for another baby (a 1 year old playing a 9 mo old) in a scene about feeding and eating. They want to pay her to hang out for an afternoon, and maybe film her eating peas and carrots. Well. Sure. I agree. Today we had "rehearsal" for an hour. She ate. We met the other cast members. Apparently she looks Italian, because her TV mom & dad are Italian-ish looking, and the "real" baby is also Italian (named something like Giovana. So like, really Italian). Friday is the production day. Luckily Reggie has off from work that day, so we will be on set together with her. I'll try to sneak some photos of the production to post here.
Oh, and Actor Justin? Didn't get the gig.
And because no blog post is complete without photo representation of her newest "trick"- I present for your viewing pleasure....
| How big is Tilly? SO BIG!! |
Aww such a cute story. Love the whole "understudy" gig, I knew it was only a metter of time until she started making you guys some money :)
ReplyDeleteIf only! She's making herself some money! The funny/sad thing is, she will make more per hour to sit and play in someone's house and maybe be filmed eating peas & carrots than I've ever made for an hour of work in my life!
ReplyDelete